This briefing will offer an overview of recent developments on environmental topics at the WTO and in the lead up to the 12th WTO Ministerial Conference (MC12), which will take place from 30 November to 3 December 2021 in Geneva.
Speakers will provide an update on how environmental issues currently feature in the regular work of the WTO’s Committees and Secretariat, and share views on environment-related priorities and opportunities. Speakers will also review the state of play on WTO negotiations on the reform of fisheries subsidies and on Member-led environment initiatives being advanced in the lead up to MC12.
- An overview of environmental activities at the WTO: Mr. Jean-Marie PAUGAM, Deputy Director-General, World Trade Organization
- An update on developments and opportunities at the WTO’s Committee on Trade and Environment (CTE): H.E. Mr. Manuel TEEHANKEE, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the Philippines to the WTO and Chair, WTO Trade and Environment Committee
- Structured Discussions on Trade and Environmental Sustainability (TESSD): H:E. Mr. Stephen DE BOER, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Canada to the WTO
- Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform (FFSR): H.E. Ms. Alison HAMILTON Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the WTO
- Informal Dialogue on Plastics and Environmentally Sustainable Plastics Trade (IDP): Ms. Maria Daniela GARCIA FREIRE, Deputy Permanent Representative Misión Permanente de la República del Ecuador ante la Organización Mundial del Comercio
Carolyn DEERE BIRKBECK, Director, Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS)
*As per the latest COVID regulations, participants who will be attending in-person will be required to produce a Swiss COVID Certificate or an EU Digital COVID Certificate.*