The opening plenary session of Geneva Trade Week will bring together high-level leaders from across International Geneva to offer perspectives on how trade and trade policy are relevant to their efforts to advance implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In doing so, they will highlight challenges and opportunities for multilateral cooperation on trade and sustainable development, and political strategies for catalysing action. The plenary will begin with remarks from leaders of Geneva-based multilateral organisations, followed by a roundtable discussion among Ambassadors.
In addition to connecting the dots between the range of actors relevant to trade and the SDG agenda in Geneva’s multilateral setting, the plenary session will link processes underway in the UN system in New York with relevant initiatives in Geneva.
- Moderator: Ms. Alice Tipping, Director, Trade and Sustainable Development, IISD
- H.E. Mr. Matthew Wilson, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Barbados to the WTO
- H.E. Mr. Guilherme Patriota, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Brazil to the WTO
- H.E. Mrs. Pimchanok Pitfield, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Thailand to the WTO
- H.E. Mr. Simon Manley, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the WTO
- H.E. Mrs. Usha Dwarka-Canabady, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Mauritius to the WTO
- H.E. Mr. José Valencia, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Ecuador to the WTO
Speakers from Geneva based Intergovernmental Organizations:
- Mr. Aik Hoe Lim, Director of the Trade and Environment Division, WTO
- Ms. Miho Shirotori, Director a.i. of the Division on International Trade and Commodities, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- Mr. Sangheon Lee, Director of the Employment Policy Department, International Labour Organization (ILO)